Saturday, 6 November 2010

Vaccine Awareness Week Around the Web

Between a course may fiancée and I took this weekend and the other stuff we've been working on today, I simply haven't had the time or energy to review comments and do much of a post to close out 'Vaccine Awareness Week'.

So I reviewed comments.

To sum up Vaccine Awareness Week, all I will do (for which I apologize) is the following:

  1. Link to this aggregate of pro-vaccine blogs and resources (many of them are reviews, analyses, and deconstructions of specific content produced for this week by anti-vaccine activists such as Barbara Loe Fisher or of cranks in general such as Joe Mercola, Mike Adams, or Gary Null - so if you want to see what anti-vaccine activists and profiteers have to say for themselves, you can).
  2. As of approximately 9:45 PM on Saturday night, when I did a Google search for 'vaccine awareness week', the first page was dominated either by official resources on vaccines, links regarding official immunization awareness weeks/months (which are at other times of the year) or pro-vaccine posts (often specifically intended to counter the Mercola.com/NVIC Vaccine Awareness Week). Not until page 3 does a hit come up sympathetic to the aims of the anti-vaccine movement.
  3. Remind you, the reader, if you haven't already, to check out the rest of my posts for the week.

What's In the Future for this Blog?
While I mentioned, in my inaugural post, that the urge to do something to help attenuate the influence of ant-vaccine activism was the motivation to start this blog, I hardly intend on focussing on health issues.

This coming week, in fact, I intend to examine musical and other artistic/cultural pieces, creations, or trends related to or inspired by Remembrance Day (Veteran's Day for the US). And I won't be posting every day, either.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that the anti-vaccine movement seems to be gaining less traction on the net. I learned about the issue while researching for a school report several years ago and have found it fascinating that people will tend to accept these extremist claims without looking deeper. And they call themselves truth-seekers :)

    ReplyDelete